Capital City 1/2 Marathon

Good Afternoon!

How was your weekend? Mine FLEW! I can’t believe it is Monday already!

So as you guys know I have been training for a 1/2. I knew going into the race that I was not going to PR. My legs had been feeling really heavy during my training runs and I just mentally was not into running the past couple of weeks.


The weather: At the start line I was wearing a long sleeve shirt with a shirt sleeve shirt underneath and capris. As I was waiting in the coral the wind was really picking up and I was nervous I was underdressed. Literally after they sang the National Anthem it became pretty warm and I was able to ditch the long sleeve shirt. Actually throughout the run I was pretty warm most of the time, not uncomfortable, but just warm. The wind was also pretty strong around miles 7.5 and 10.

image (11)

The course: the course was pretty familiar if you have ran the Columbus Marathon in October. We had some steep inclines (for Columbus) at some points, and they had us run up a hill for the last mile. I expected this however, they do the same thing in the race in October.

Screen shot 2013-05-06 at 5.19.44 PM



The fuel: I decided to eat food for breakfast, not just gels. I knew the run at 8 am would mean that I would be pretty hungry sense I was use to eating a meal by at least 7:30 am. So I ate some oatmeal with cinnamon, almonds  and a banana. I still brought a Powergel with me, knowing that I have low blood sugar and I would not wanted to be stranded on the course with out a gel.

The miles

1-2: I was doing great ( 8:22, 8:21). I was sticking with the 1:50 pace group and I felt like I could have even gone faster at this point. I was pretty excited about how I was feeling and was pleasantly surprised!

3-5.5: It all went down hill from there. Not literally down hill, but feeling wise my legs became VERY heavy. At mile 4 on the dot I had to stop and take a gel because I had no energy in me. I was thinking I went out fast, but after the race  I was thinking and I honestly think it was just my darn legs!

6-7.5: I saw my family and friends around this time and it really gave me some much need it moral.  We started this incline and we were facing the wind and it was just not fun!

8-13.1: From here my feet started to burn. It was like my feet were on fire. I have had blisters in the past, but nothing like this before. Right as I crossed the finish line I took off my shoes and just let me feet feel the cold ground! I know I looked odd but I didn’t care!

Screen shot 2013-05-06 at 5.17.44 PM

Finish in 1:59

Overall: Besides the heavy legs and my feet on fire, I really had a great time. It was a great day for a run and I really loved the energy out on the course. I was nervous as I was coming to the finish line, with the recent events, but once I crossed I felt really safe.

What is next: I am going to take some time off running for a few weeks, just to get a mojo back. In the meantime I am going to bike and walk and lift some weights.


Your Turn

Did you race this weekend? 

How long did you take off after a run?

5 thoughts on “Capital City 1/2 Marathon

  1. Pingback: After the half | Positive Changes For Life

  2. Pingback: Brooks PureFlows 2 | Positive Changes For Life

  3. Pingback: Super Random Post | Positive Changes For Life

  4. Pingback: Happy 1 Year PCFL!!! | Positive Changes For Life

  5. Pingback: Tuesday Tips {How Long do you Workout?} | Positively Healthy

Leave a Comment

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s